Try Something New!

why-blogWhy blog? A year ago, if I had been asked if I would consider blogging, I would have likely answered with a resounding, “NO.” Yet, I am often the first person to suggest to others to be adventurous in teaching and in learning…try something new. SO… after the gentle nudging of a respected colleague I decided to give it a try. I do not consider myself a gifted writer by any stretch and for me this was a deterrent. Even so, I decided to put pen to paper and get started.

Blogging my thoughts has been fun. It helps me to share my thoughts with the school community and colleagues. It helps me understand the ways in which my thinking is similar or different to those around me. But for me, the real power has been in the act of writing and reflecting. In an age of information overload, blogging has provided me with an extra filter which helps me slow down my thinking and really consider what resonates with me and WHY.

I am doubtful that three paragraphs of writing could convince you to begin blogging if you are not already doing so, but I am challenging you to think about how you and your child reflect on what you are learning and the power that writing can have in your lives.